Wednesday, September 19, 2012

We're making quick progress this year!

We've only been back to our schooling a few weeks now but I'm so happy with how smoothly things are going and how much we have progressed in such a short period of time.

Wolfie has begun (again) Pre-Algebra. This week, we have been working on, not just calculating the area and perimeter of odd shapes, but understanding the formulas as well.  (He has also touched (again) on exponents.)  I want him to work again today calculating areas and perimeters and found this site that created a worksheet for us!  Love it!  HaHa, Wolfie's gonna love it too! ;)

Drew is beginning (again) on her division.  We will continue to refresh on multiplication too.  She worked a full page (about 20-25) of division problems from her workbook yesterday, within a reasonable amount of time and never once complained.  We discussed several different methods which she can use to solve her division problems, and while I believe we'll stay focused on only this for at least another month or so, she already seems to be doing very well.

The motherboards on both of our laptops had gone out, so for the last few weeks we've been limping along with only their tablets and my computer at work; but last weekend we managed to afford one new laptop - now we must learn to juggle.

By the end of Summer, I was truly beginning to miss this quality time with them and so, I am so excited about getting back to schooling with them (the kids seem to be enjoying it as well)!

On a previous post, I'd mentioned that I had created some writing prompts (click on the link and you can print them too); yesterday, the kids dug in to draw out their first writing challenge.  Wolfie's topic is "Write a story about a dinosaur that eats dandelions."  This topic had occurred to me because I had recalled being in elementary and writing a story about this topic (which, at that time, was not assigned but born from my own silly imagination), and I remember it fondly.  Drew's topic is "Pretend your brother has accidently shrunk you down to 1 inch!  How do you feel and what do you do?"  We taped their topic slips at the top of their  writing pages and they got to spend the evening thinking of ideas to write for it today.  I'm really going to enjoy seeing what they each come up with each week.


HA! Just made some multiplication/division worksheets for Drew too!!
WorksheetWorks.com is fabulous!!

No comments:

Post a Comment