Monday, September 17, 2012

so many free online resources to choose from, here's a few

In an effort to offer a curriculum that is somewhat equivalent to that of the public school system, I have purchased used textbooks as well as workbooks from our local bookstore.  In my search for additional homeschooling help, I came across another resourceful blogger; the Five Js blog is written by a fellow homeschooling mother who offers free advice and resourceful links.  Specifically, I was initially searching for some grammar resources for my 14 year old son to aid in his curriculum and found a link to an online book that she'd found and shared on her site.  I haven't finished going through everything myself, but at first glance I was excited and raced to my blog to share here as well.  In addition, the English Grammer 101 site offers free online lessons to homeschoolers.

I will be assigning more reports and essays for Wolfie to complete this year, and found these sites about   writing essays interesting and informative: Homeschooling High School and 7Sisters, .

Journaling is also incorporated into our studies; the children journal in Reading, they journal in History, and they have "personal" journaling too.  After my son expressed his writer's block for his personal journaling, I created a list of 120 writing prompts; I printed them, cut them into individual slips, folded, and placed in a container (one for each child).  On their creative writing day, each child draws a slip of paper from the container, and writes in their journal about the subject they drew.


For our math studies, we are supplementing with the video curriculum of Kahn Academy.  Each child has a log-in code so we can track their progress through the Kahn studies accurately.  In addition, Kahn Academy is offering Science, Computer Science, Finance & Economics, Humanities, and Test Prepping; I believe eventually we will tap into at least some of those topics too.  I'm pleased with this site, and my son (last week) asked me if he could do the practice steps offered on the site, in conjunction with the videos, because he thought it might be more helpful. <I beam proudly>

No comments:

Post a Comment