Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Letter to the teacher

In my previous post, I expressed a concern I had over the kids moving too quickly through their Math assignments. Since, I sent the following letter to Wolfie's teacher and another similar in content to Drew's teacher.

"Wolfie is struggling with the recent Math quiz. I wanted to express my concerns (which not only apply to Wolfie but also my 3rd grader). You're just the "lucky" teacher I decided to poe it too, and hopefully you can provide some direction for us.

As Wolfie (and I) worked through the last few lessons, he did really well. He seemed to grasp everything quite well. Although, it is my opinion, he is moving through the lessons too quickly (each one introduces something new) and he doesn't have time to just stay with one lesson for a day or two longer to let it really sink in and allow him to be comfortable moving to the next lesson (comfort is important, I think), and this is causing a problem then later when he needs to recollect the processes. (My 3rd grader is having the same problem. She ends up in tears because she gets so overwhelmed.)

I'd really like to see them slow down. I mean, at this rate, they'll be doing calculus by 9th grade. *chuckling* I reeeeally don't think that's a good idea for them though. We could end with just a complete knowledge of all things algebraic and I think they'll still be doing really good (I did).

I know there is no deadline to turn in assignments, but there is a deadline to complete a course and we've had to double-up on math (for both students) in order to reach that goal. It's just SO not working for us. I got so frustrated and fussed at Wolfie last night (made him cry) because he couldn't recall what he had learned for the math test - and I know, it's not his fault. He just needs to back-up and do those lessons over again and dwell on them for a day or two before moving on.

Any help? Any suggestions please?

Much appreciation!
Karen"

It wasn't long after sending this email that our teacher responded with a call to me. She made several suggestions and modifications to Wolfie's schedule which, hopefully, will allow him to spend more time absorbing the lessons before moving on. She was absolutely wonderful and expressed a sincere appreciation for my communication as well.

Relieved as I keep my fingers crossed now.

(I have not yet heard back from Drew's teacher, but I'm sure I will tomorrow.)

As for today's work, they both completed their priorities pretty timely. Wolfie worked some math problems from his workbook for previous lessons, rather than the scheduled assignment today. We are literally going to go back over previous lessons so that he can refresh.

No comments:

Post a Comment