Sunday, August 22, 2010

A taste of what's to come

Today I sat down with my kids to begin some of their classes. I will not be taking Monday off and I wanted them to get a taste of their projects so they could know what to expect, and maybe get a little headstart.

Wolfie started with History and he went through it easily with very few questions. After he finished the assessment we realized that we would not be able to submit the projects until the first day of school. That's okay. He can fly through these assignments on Monday, submit them, and move on to the others. He also chose to go through his math assignment (struggled a little more there, I am supposing because it's been a while since he's done math work). He also tends to be insecure and hesitant to commit to his answers. We talked about it, but I believe this will be one of his longterm challenges (it's his momma's side showing).

Drew began with her Language Arts. There was quite a bit of work, including several different reading assignments, worksheets, and vocabulary. Consequently, this was all she concentrated on. Overall she did well, but did get a little nervous and worried about it being too hard. I reassured her that we would all be learning new things and it was okay to focus on those answers she knew first, leaving the harder questions for last.

We worked for only two hours and then it was obvious they needed a break, so we called it a day.

After they wrapped it up, they both walked away feeling reassured about what to expect on Monday.

As I will be keeping my day job, their dad will be home to help them as needed during the day, and I will help them when I get home from work. We expect them to be fairly needy for a while, growing more comfortable and working more independently as the year progresses.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Karen, thanks for visiting my blog. Today was the first day of school and it was kind of crazy. The language arts took a really long time. How is it going for your kids? I'm following your photography site as well, you have beautiful pictures. Do you sell your work? I've been wanting to sell my work for a while now, just haven't had the opportunity.

    ReplyDelete