Monday, August 23, 2010

First (Official) Day of School

Well, let me back up in time about 7 or 8 years, back when all of my kids were young and living at home (I have five kids in all - his, hers, & ours), and I - for the sake of sanity - put together a "Consequences & Actions" chart. It was wonderful. The kids knew what to expect, and understood the consequences for certain actions (it was no longer a punishment just because I was at the end of my rope - it was just, simply, the rules of the household), and it was magical. More importantly, it saved my sanity and their bottoms. But you know, the difficult part was not getting the kids on the program, it was getting ME on the program.

As I wrapped things up for today (the first day of schooling at home), I'm seeing a parallel, as it is painfully apparent that me and the husband (Roy) have a LOT to learn! It was also very apparent that the kids are going to slide into the swing of this thing with ease. They both did very, very well today. It was great, and I was really proud of them! No worries.

3 comments:

  1. Glad to hear the first day went well. There is so much to learn, I feel like a fifth grader myself.;) What grades are your kids in? I looked at your Etsy shop today, your work is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, we are long time homeschoolers. I enrolled my two oldest, so I was interested to read your blog. Happy schooling! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. My daughter is in 3rd grade and my son is in 7th. Right now, she needs SO much more attention than him, but I do believe she'll catch on to things eventually. Right now, mom and dad are both exhausted with the new schedule (and I know what you mean about feeling like a 5th grader, ditto here). But that's okay, I'm sure it will get easier.

    Thank you so much for your comments though. I do enjoy hearing from others in the same boat.

    (Amber, thank you so much for visiting my etsy shop. I enjoy photography, and etsy is sort of another outlet for me. It's great!)

    ReplyDelete