Wednesday, August 24, 2011

beeeeeeep - beeeeeeep - beeeeeeep - beeeeeeep - beeeeeeep

This is the sound of us backing up. 

As stated in a prior post, I had the kids look-up and write the definitions to their vocabulary words.  As you know, Drew had some trouble and it became apparent to me that she needs lessons on how the dictionary is put together and using it, so we worked on that together.  Wolfie had found his words and written the definitions but I didn't look over them initially.  So yesterday, when they were writing sentences for each word, he came to me first with each word to discuss it first, and each time his definition was way off and we would look-up the word again together and discuss how he came to have his definition rather than the one in the dictionary or thesaurus.  So now I see that Wolfie is going to require just a tad more help than I realized in regards to using a dictionary and/or thesaurus.  Part of me is thinking, Wolfie is thirteen, he should know by now how to use a dictionary, and is this another "epic fail" coming to light on the part of our local ISD.  But, it's okay, it's cool, we are learning where the kids need to start and what to cover, so it's still all good, and it's comforting to me to witness what they are learning.

No comments:

Post a Comment